The Fall 2017 Competition will take place from October 26th to November 15th.
Register by October 1st
Note: Registration for the Fall 2017 competition is open to K-12 schools in Pacific Gas and Electric (PG&E) service territory with access to electricity interval data and 9-12 schools in Southern California Edison (SCE) service territory with access to electricity interval data. Email Sophia at email@example.com to if you are unsure if your school qualifies.
What is the Energy Conservation Competition?
A 3-week challenge for K-12 schools served by Pacific Gas and Electric and 9-12 schools served by Southern California Edison to compete to save electricity! The Competition is from October 26th - November 15th. Compete with your:
- Environmental Clubs & Green Teams
- Leadership Clubs
- Science & Engineering Classes
- Any students and faculty interested in making a difference at their school!
How can Energize Schools help?
- Guidance on identifying, planning, and implementing conservation strategies from an Energy Advisor assigned to your school
- Lesson planning or in-class instruction support
- Resources package with a sample lesson plan, participation guide, and conservation action plan
- Informational webinar: watch here
- Prizes will be awarded to the top two schools that achieve the highest percentage reduction in their electricity use:
- First Place $1,000
- Second Place $500
- One additional prize of $500 will be awarded to the school with the best conservation campaign materials. Teams who submit their conservation materials by the end of the competition on May 1st will be eligible. Check out successful campaign resources below.
"My International Baccalaureate Physics students have a unit on energy, power, and climate change. It's a mandatory part of their curriculum. The School Energy Conservation Competition was a perfect complement to their studies, helping them see how they could make a difference. The Competition component made it fun."
Eric Burtson, San Diego High Teacher
How do I participate?
- Register by October 1st.
- Help connect Energize Schools to your utility data so we can track your savings.
- Assemble your team of interested students and staff.
- Lead and implement your team's conservation strategies.
What utility data information do I need to provide?
Energize Schools needs access to your utility data in order to determine the savings you and your school achieve. We want to make participating in the competition as easy as possible for schools and districts. We request the following from facilities managers so that we can fully access electricity data:
- Access to PG&E My Energy account or SCE Energy account.
- Access to solar monitoring site (if applicable).
- Signed TPA between SEI and the district.
- List of electrical meters at each participating site.
- We are happy to work with Energy and Facilities Managers based on the needs of the district.
Energy Conservation Competition Results
Since 2014, Energize Schools has hosted five 3-week Energy Conservation Competitions with California schools
saving a total of:
saving a total of:
572,944 lbs. of CO2