Aquaponics (Grades 9-12)
This curriculum is designed to provide instructors with a menu of project options of various scales for designing, constructing, and maintaining an aquaponics system in your school. The SEI Aquaponics Curriculum is designed with a core design/build unit, created to lead students through the initial challenge of designing a sustainable aquaponics system, followed by a suite of independent, cross-disciplinary lessons, so that teachers may engage students with the system in future classes. The core design/build unit focuses on the purpose, benefits, design, build, and maintenance of an aquaponics system. The independent lessons are designed to help teachers in a variety of subjects, from culinary arts to entrepreneurship to engineering, utilizing the school aquaponics system as a dynamic learning tool.
This curriculum package includes:
- Comprehensive lessons covering the purpose, design, build, and maintenance of aquaponics systems.
- Hands-on activities allowing students to explore chemistry, biology, engineering, construction trades, and more.
- Practical applications in research, technical drafting, website development, construction, and food production through aquaponics.
- A unit pre- and post-test to assess comprehension and retention of material presented. Administer the test before beginning the unit and upon completion to assess student learning outcomes.
- Coverage of Next Generation Science Standards, Common Core ELA and Math Standards, and Career Technical Education Standards
See a preview.
This curriculum is free to California high school teachers. Click here to request.