Green Building Certificate (Grades 9-12)
This certificate is an introductory course covering general concepts behind green building benefits, design & features, various existing programs and initiatives, and the implementation of green building measures to reduce social, environmental, and economic impacts. This curriculum contains content for six interactive modules, designed to take a minimum 34.5 hours of instruction. The focus of instruction is on providing students with a foundation in green building concepts and practices. Through this course, students gain skills directly applicable to the expanding green trades, gaining an ability to identify and evaluate green building sites & features and opportunities for improving the functionality of a building in order to reduce resource consumption and improve indoor air quality.
This curriculum package includes:
- Comprehensive lessons covering the fundamentals of sustainability, climate change; intro to green building; green building features; green building programs and initiatives; green building design; and green building careers
- A supplemental PowerPoint presentation for lessons, the SEI Green Building Career Matrix, and the SEI Resume Builder
- Hands-on activities allowing students to explore the causes and consequences of climate change, creating floor plans, conducting site assessments, water conservation, air quality assessment, and green building ratings and codes.
- Practical applications in engineering, physics, mathematics, construction and climate science
- A unit pre- and post-test to assess comprehension and retention of material presented. Administer the test before beginning the unit and upon completion to assess student learning outcomes
- Coverage of Next Generation Science Standards, Common Core English & Language Art and Math Standards, and Career Technical Education Standards
See a preview.
This curriculum is free to California high school teachers. Click here to request.